Jamie's Phuket Blog

Since 1892 Cafe in Old Phuket Town

Phuket Town has lots of little cafes and restaurants, and I wish I had a lot more time to explore and visit more of them! And the old part of Phuket Town has been having a renaissance in the last few years. I mean, it's still very un-touristy, but with several streets being stripped of overhead wires and a good chunk of local investment, streets like Dibuk Road, Phang Nga Road, Soi Romanee and especially Thalang Road are looking great. Quite a few new places have opened recently, while some little local restaurants you can tell have been around for a long time! There are noodle shops, coffee shops, restaurants that do local food and restaurants that do pizza or Japanese food. As I have said many times, I like Phuket Town!

If we head to town in the evenings, we normally park on Thalang Road, and there are a few favourite bars and restaurants in the area (see links at the end of the page). On Saturday evening last week, we planned for an early dinner in town, and decided to have a coffee first. We had been into 'Since 1892' one time before. It opened in April 2012 and I had always wanted to go back with camera. I like cafes that have a little style and character and there are quite a few in the town.

UPDATE 2016 - enjoy the photos below, but this cafe is now closed down :(

Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road

Since 1892 is at the east end of Thalang Road near the junction with Phuket Road. Before being a cafe, it was a camera shop, and before that, I am sure many other things! It's an old style shophouse but has been decorated with old furniture, paintings, and clothes - in fact, everything in the shop is also for sale! There are antiques and old LP records and all kinds of arty little things.

Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

We actually called in because I had seen a delicious looking cake on the Since 1892 Facebook Page, but darn, they were sold out. It was all cream and chocolate and banana. I have also seen another gorgeous looking cake - crepe with strawberry - on that page. Looks like I need to go again to find these cakes! This time I just ordered a coffee. The 'Hazelnut Latte' stood out from the crowd and 60 Baht, not too bad.

Menu at Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

And it was good! I am actually not a coffee fanatic. I like a cup of coffee in the morning, but it's normally made from instant coffee, and I use Cofee-Mate too! Yeh, shoot me now. That's not to say I don't enjoy fancy coffee, but at 6:30am, I just want a hot caffeinated drink! Well, this hazelnut latte was something else, very tasty indeed ...

Hazelnut Latte at Since 1892 Cafe Phuket Town

It's a very relaxed place, oh and they do have a small food menu too, and other drinks ... it's not just coffee and cakes. A few other people were sitting around while we were there.



Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

Clothes for Sale at Since 1892 Cafe, Thalang Road, Phuket Town

Certainly, Since 1892 is a cafe I will visit again, and hope to get some cake next time! On the same street, Thalang Road, there is a real mix of businesses from old hardware shops, printers, Muslim fabric shops, guesthouses, cafes ... a few places that we enjoy include :

Kopitiam Restaurant
Eleven Two
Abdul's Roti Shop

Since 1892 Cafe - Location Map


View Since 1892 Cafe, Phuket Town in a larger map






You have been reading : Since 1892 Cafe in Old Phuket Town

Looking For More? Search Jamie's Phuket Blog ...


Find Your Phuket Hotel ...