Jamie's Phuket Blog

Mama Noi Restaurant at Karon Beach

I have probably eaten more at Mama Noi as much as any other restaurant in Phuket. Why? Well, it's just round the corner from where I work at Sunrise Divers in Karon Beach, about 1 minutes walk from door to door. Sure, there are a few other nearby options such as a (very) local roadside restaurant that does great Phad Thai for 40 Baht, a place called "3 Siblings" which is over the road from the 7-11 100m away which does simple cheap Thai food, and the very good Sala Bua which is part of the Karon Place Hotel and only open in high season, but Mama Noi keeps me coming back.

You'll find Mama Noi next to the Siam Commercial Bank, just off the back road (Patak Road). It's easy enough to find and always looks clean and welcoming, with green plants and many colourful orchids hanging outside. There's nothing really fancy here, but it has many regular customers (myself included) - foreign and Thai alike. A restaurant with regular local customers is always a good sign.





Inside you may notice signs saying "Self Service", and indeed this is half true. You will need to place your order at the counter, then take your own cutlery and glass of water to your table. Drinks are in a large glass front fridge - again, self service. BUT, not all drinks are in there. I almost always order a banana milkshake (Kluay Pan) - the best I have found anywhere and only 30 Baht!

Food - the name Mama Noi suggests Italian connections and the original owner (as far as I know) used to live in Italy. The western menu includes pasta, lasagne, salads, sandwiches, chicken and chips and more, while the Thai menu includes basically any Thai dish you can think of. My current favourites - Yellow Vegetable Curry (Gaeng Garee Pak), Fried Pork in special sauce (Moo Phad Mama Noi), Chicken Penang Curry (Penang Gai)... The minestrone soup is not bad either and the sandwiches are decent.. the Massaman curry is good too.. in fact I don't really recall a duff meal here though the fried rice tends to be rather bland.



It's a popular place, price is OK (not super local cheap, but not expensive) - for example, the curries will be around 80 Baht, fried rice 60 Baht, and did I mention the excellent 30 Baht milkshakes...? (Update 2013, prices have risen since this was written in 2007!)




More Karon Beach Information

Suggested Hotels in Karon Beach
Karon Beach Guide

Mama Noi Location Map


View Mama Noi Restaurant, Karon Beach, Phuket in a larger map


 Mama Noi Restaurant at Karon Beach  |  Jamie's Phuket Blog


Jamie suggests agoda.com for Phuket hotel booking

  Comments

  Please do add your comment!


Anonymous Anonymous :

Hi Jamie,

Just want to ask how far is Mama Noi from PAcific club resort.? Can you suggest a good food that is walking distance on the PAcific Club Resort.? Also i know that theres a good chef on the Pacific cluib resort but i want to try other as well. I read your blog everyday and im very excited goin to phuket because of your blog. Thank you very much! Ronson

November 13, 2009  

Blogger Jamie Monk in Phuket :

Mama Noi is around 2 1/2 km from Pacific Club - other end of Karon. I don't eat out much round Karon, as we live near Phuket Town.. if you head to the Karon center you find a lot of choice for places to eat - further from the beach are smaller local restaurants which is where I would go! There is a decent Indian near the Centara hotel, also Angus O'Tooles if you want western food.

Cheers
Jamie

November 13, 2009  

Blogger นายจักรพงษ์ :

Hi, I'm going to Phuket shortly. So, I just want to know a bit did this shop accept credit card?

December 04, 2009  

Blogger Jamie Monk in Phuket :

Does Mama Noi accept credit card? I am not sure, but since your lunch will only be about 100 Baht, I don't think you'll need a credit card!

December 04, 2009  

Blogger sgoonerette :

Hi Jamie,
Thanks to your recommendation, my SO & i went to Mama Noi during our honeymoon in May09 .... they served great food indeed!

November 08, 2010  

Blogger ashley :

I ate at Mama Noi in April of this year as I stayed at the Pineapple Guesthouse right next door. I swear during our last two days, when we were tired and burnt out, we ate three meals a day at Mama Noi and loved it not to mention all the meals throughout the week. If I lived in Phuket, I'd be a regular for sure! In fact, I probably wouldn't even cook.

July 28, 2011  

Anonymous Anonymous :

Hi! I was wondering if you could explain more whereabouts it is please? Is it far from the movenpick hotel, karon? Thanks

March 07, 2013  

Blogger Jamie Monk in Phuket :

Google Map added :)

March 07, 2013  

Blogger sgoonerette :

Took quite awhile to locate Mama Noi when we went to Phuket for honeymoon in 2009. It was well worth the effort though. The food was fantastic & it serves the best banana shake imho.

June 03, 2013