Phuket Festivals and Events
The vegetarian festival is my No.1 favourite thing in Phuket! Latest Photos of the 2012 Vegetarian Festival - check here:
• 2012 Phuket Vegetarian Festival
Recent Phuket Festivals on the blog
• Phuket Baba Wedding Festival 2013
• Phuket Old Town Festival 2013
• Por Tor Festival 2012
• Kathu Phuket Street Culture Festival 2012
• Phuket Old Town Festival / Chinese New Year 2012
• Chalong Temple Fair
• Por Tor (Hungry Ghost) Festival 2011
• Kathu Culture Fair 2011
• A night in Phuket Town for Japan 2011
• Phuket Street Show Festival
• Phuket Heroines Festival
• OTOP Fair in Phuket Town
• Phuket Halal Expo
Note: Most of these are annual events, I don't go every year!
Phuket Vegetarian Festival - My favourite thing in Phuket!
Links to all articles and photos on this blog related to the most bizarre festival in Phuket .. I love it, but it's not for everyone, and the "being vegetarian" aspect is just one part of the festival ... Dates for 2013, it will be 4 - 14 October.
• Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2013 Schedule
• 2012 Phuket Vegetarian Festival
• Phuket Vegetarian Festival Introduction
And here's all the blog posts relating to the 2011 Vegetarian Festival - I went a bit festival crazy and did lots of posts compared to just one in 2012 :)
- Crossing the Bridge for Purification October 5th
- Piercings and Firecrackers October 4th
- Vegetarian Procession and World Photo Walk October 2nd
- Face Piercing at Sam Kong Shrine September 30th
- Procession for the Birth and Death Gods September 29th
- Opening Ceremonies September 26th
• At Kathu Shrine 15th October 2010
• Bang Neow Shrine Street Procession 2010
• First Days of the 2010 Vegetarian Festival
• Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2009 Photos
• Phuket Vegetarian Festival Videos
Since 2006 during the festival, I always go to see some of the ceremonies, take a lot of photos, and eat plenty of the great food on offer. I am not normally a veggie, but it can't hurt for a week or so!? My "local" is Kathu shrine, located in Baan Kathu. Sam Kong shrine is not too far from Tesco Lotus - loads of veggie food stalls in the Kathu/Sam Kong area during the festival. In Phuket town you find big shrines such as Jui Tui and Bang Neow which are very much the center of festivities. Phuket Town is the best place to be based if you want to see as much as possible.
Songkran Festival (Thai New Year)
Songkran is the Thai New Year, a real mix of quiet prayer and water throwing mayhem. We tend to mix it up - a bit of quiet at the temple, a bit of water... on April 13th 2007 (apart from the water fights) we went to a turtle release ceremony at Mai Khao beach. The next year we drove around taking photos. In 2009 we reckoned both our kids were were ready for a ride in the back of a pick up truck around Patong, throwing water at anything that moved - that's fun! n 2010 I was too busy throwing water and drinking beer to take photos! In 2011 I was not in Phuket, but took lots of photos in my wifes home town, Chumphon (about 400km north of here)...
• Songkran 2011 Photos in Chumphon
• Songkran 2009 - Patong Beach Phuket
• Songkran 2008 Photos
• Songkran - April 13th 2007
• Songkran 2006 in Phuket
• Favourite Songkran Photos
• About Songkran
• Phuket Bike Week - 3 days of big bikes and beachside concerts, April every year just before Songkran.
Every year, but dates vary according to the full moon. 2013 will be November 17th. The main element of Loy Krathong is giving thanks to the goddess of water. The "Kratong" are floated onto the water and many lanterns are lit to float up into the sky. It's all about giving thanks and asking for good luck.
• Loy Krathong 2008 Photos
• Loy Krathong 2007 - Part 1 - Making our Kratong
• Loy Krathong 2007 Photos
• Loy Krathong 2006 in Phuket
More Local Phuket Life
• Local Markets
• Market at Karon Temple
• Indy Market in Phuket Town
• Local Street Fair in Kathu District
• Phuket Butterfly Release July 2010
• The Weekend Market
• Buddha Shelf & Shrine in our house
• A Funeral in our village
• Caged bird singing competition in Kathu Village
• Buying a House in Phuket
Other Phuket Festivals
There are a number of small local festivals in Phuket such as the Blues Festival, Patong Carnival, the Phuket Gay Festival... Well, I hope over the next 10 years I'll have more time to visit some of these celebrations and get some photos!
Phuket Festivals and Events | Jamie's Phuket Blog